International Pet Travel

USDA information About Pet Travel

Steps for International Pet Travel

Planning a trip abroad? While boarding and pet watchers exist, many owners choose to take their furry friends overseas with them. If you are choosing international pet travel, there are a number of things to consider before booking your trip. At Inwood Animal Clinic, we are happy to provide you with the right resources to make your travel plans go as smoothly as possible. Turn to us today to learn how to plan for your flight overseas.

Ready to Travel?

Have you ever thought about bringing your pet with you when traveling to another country, but not sure where to begin? Here at Inwood Animal Clinic, we want to make the process as easy as possible for you and your pets.

When you are planning to take your pet overseas, it is important to remember that you must obtain a travel certificate for each of your furry friends. Only USDA-approved veterinarians can provide you with a travel certificate. At Inwood, we have vets who are certified USDA-approved veterinarian. She is happy to provide you with the resources you need for any trip outside of the country. For your convenience, we have compiled the following guidelines to help you prepare for your travel:


Give yourself plenty of time to plan your trip. Contact the embassy of the country you are traveling to and gather their requirements on what you would need to bring your pet into that country. Certain countries have strict regulations, such as your pet having an international microchip or vaccinations. Make sure that you know this information ahead of time, and set aside enough time to get everything done.


Contact the airline you are using to find out what requirements they have about bringing pets on board. Be sure to ask them what type of carriers are permitted. Get your carrier early, and get your pet acclimatized to the carrier.

Meeting with Us

After you have all your information and documents, call us up to make an appointment. We will do our best to help you with your travel plans. Some countries require a USDA-approved veterinarian to examine your pet 10 days before your flight date to thoroughly check your pet to make sure your pet is healthy enough for international travel. After we go through this screening with you, you will receive a USDA travel certificate for your pet.

Final Preparations

As of May 2024, you will need to mail all documents to the USDA vet service office in Raleigh, North Carolina. Included below is their address and a checklist of what to include:

920 Main Campus Dr.
Raleigh, North Carolina 27606

Mailing Must Include:

  • Original & signed Rabies Vaccination Certificate for Any Rabies Vaccination Documented On the Health Certificate
  • Test Results for Other Laboratory Tests, When Required (example, rabies titer test results).
  • Import Permit (If Required)
  • Payment
  • Pre-Paid Return Label (next day air)

UPDATE: As of May 2024, the USDA office in Albany, NY has significant layoffs and health certificates mailed in may not be reviewed in a timely manner. All certificates must be sent to the Raleigh, North Carolina office above.  

Contact us to learn about the international pet travel process. We are available to assist pet owners with their travel plans.


Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule


9:00 am - 6:00 pm


9:00 am - 8:00 pm


8:00 am - 6:00 pm


8:00 am - 6:00 pm


9:00 am - 7:00 pm


9:00 am - 3:00 pm


10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Contact Us